Monday, October 20, 2008

ARCH1142 Reflection

Due to the range of skills and mediums employed in this course through its alternating electives, it has been a highly beneficial and insightful experience. A major highlight would be our ability to choose what we want to learn, whether it be a first encounter with such techniques/concepts or a desire to further hone our skills. Some new concepts i learnt was the importance of navigation, from the Atlas of Colour, and proper use of white space so as to enhance images. That was honed by my study of a precedent book in the Atlas of Colour, and compositional issues in Technical Drawing. Meanwhile while i was already experienced and confident with drawing, i felt that Technical Drawing further disciplined the values of patience and precision, while Fluid Thoughts taught me the importance of letting go of previous conceptions and attitudes, as experimenting allows one to further develop their skills and thinking.

Lowlights and the greatest challenge, would have been the pressure of time constraints, which i felt especially in the Atlas of Colour workshop as the cohesive presentation & navigational system (a huge aspect of the course) had to be left to the final week when all exercises had been completed. I have always been proud of my time management skills and desire to perfect what i do, so it was quite frustrating to have to present without being 100% satisfied with my final work.

I will definately carry on in further years, the skill of a sophisticated approach to composition, correct use of white space and successful sequencing. I also desire to change my rigid approach to art - sticking only to the techniques and mediums i am confident with - to instead embrace all approaches and methods. This course has taught me a range of ways to capture 3D space on 2D mediums, where i need to keep an open attitude so as to further my learning.

No comments: